Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Looking Ahead

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post and they have been hectic and stressful, but I keep thinking of that depressing day and what I wrote and I can't leave that up here as my last post any longer!

There are quite a few deadlines coming up at work and I've been putting in a lot of hours trying to make sure we meet them and keep my clients happy.  Been out of town quite a bit and when I AM home, working with our new dog is still very challenging and time-consuming.  He's learning, but it takes TIME.  Lots of it.  Which is to say, my exercise routine is still pretty much on hold.  I'm hoping the next few weeks will see a reduction in the work stress and less traveling, which will allow more time for working out.

I have a 5k this Sunday!  EEK!  I haven't run since Run the Woods (8K trail race), which, although I haven't posted a Race Recap, I can tell you it was very challenging!  I remember about half-way through thinking, "wow, I really should have just signed up for the 5k.  This is harder than I expected!"  I did finish though.  DFL, and happy to get to the finish line.  I am LOVING my new age group, though.  I got second place!  HA!  20 minutes behind the first-place winner but I still placed! They give out really cool plaques too, rather than ribbons or trophies.  Neat stuff.

But that was a MONTH ago!  So yes, EEK! is the name of the game for this weekend.  I guess this demonstrates a circumstance in which my strategy works.  Rain or shine, ready or not, I'll be running 3.1 miles this weekend, because darn it, I PAID to do it!

One more thing before I rush back into work for today:  a few weeks ago, I did something I have often sworn NEVER to do.  I bought a "self-help" book.  Now (i know my mom reads this, so ... um... sorry mom) it seemed to me that my mother bought and read followed the plans of many a self-help book throughout my childhood, and I developed a real aversion to the things.  But I picked up the book that was recommended by another blogger whom I really respect (check out her Facebook page!) (and discussed periodically while she was reading it... I really got a feel for how this might be helpful to someone who thinks the way that I do...).

amazon.com
The book, of course, is intended to be read daily, with a six-week plan, and daily "homework" assignments... yadda-yadda-yadda... I am reading it as I have time, and implementing each "day"'s plan as I go.  I recognize that I don't have the ability to follow a strict schedule with this thing right now, and I'm working within my limits.

The book is "The Beck Diet Solution" by Dr. Judith Beck and is based in Cognitive Behavior Therapy.  I'm currently working on Day 5.  The first step was to create a list of all of the reasons I want to lose weight and get healthy.  And read them, twice daily.  Before I head back to work, I thought now would be a good time for me to read those (especially after a Food Fail this morning), and I'll share a few of them with you:


  • My husband will be proud of me, and I of myself.
  • I will feel like I've accomplished something important.
  • I will feel better and have more energy.
  • I will be less self-critical, and happier when I look in the mirror.
  • I will feel more in control.
  • I will be a better, faster runner.
  • I will feel ready to take on The Marathon.
  • I want to look fabulous at my son's wedding!
  • I will live long enough to play with my son's children and the children of my niece and nephews.
  • I could learn to swim and do a triathlon.
Last word, one I've written down to read when I need help staying on track (or getting back on track) whenever I need it:

I am strong and in control.
I can manage what I eat to provide nutritious fuel for my body without overeating.
I will control what and how much I eat so that I feel satisfied and still lose weight.

So far, these are the good things I've gotten out of reading this book.  I hope there are more to come as I keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl