LIES I TELL MYSELF
(and proof they're not real)
"I never get to do anything! I'm working all the time and it leaves me with no time for fun stuff."
I needed to write this today because I heard this complaint in my head. Sometimes it's useful to remind myself that there's no need to be down - there's light at the end of the Tunnel that is Busy Season, and meanwhile, I regularly participate in some REALLY neat, enriching and satisfying activities that have absolutely nothing to do with work.
Here's some cool shit I've done in the past 6 months,
- I helped lead a group of beginner runners to successfully complete a 4.37-mile race through a 10-week program.
- I went to a concert. On a TUESDAY night. If that's not living-on-the-edge, I just don't know what is.
- I participated in a 12-week running program myself to help improve my own speed and endurance.
- I filed my taxes on time (ok this doesn't really fall into the category of "fun", but I did.)
- I went to an Easter Parade Party. Now, who else gets to say that?!?
- I ran not one but TWO half-marathons.
- I baked an amazing, basically perfect, blueberry pie.
- I celebrated 10 years of marriage.
- We went to a beach party with friends.
- I attended the wedding of a woman whom I've known since she was three months old. That's right I said MONTHS.
- I celebrated my brother-in-law's graduation from graduate school.
- I went to the Jaycees Beerfest - another great day with friends.
- I attended an event honoring women of distinction in our community and met a dear old friend of my mother's - and she received one of the awards!
- I spent two weeks attending a daily swimming class and learned a new skill.
- I went to community theater and saw the musical SHREK.
- I spent an evening out of town listening to my friends' band play until the wee hours of the morning.
- I volunteered as a leader in a women-only running group for 8 weeks. There I met bunches of great ladies and running partners!
- I went to a fundraiser for a great local charity and simultaneously got to visit with a dear friend and her mom. And we accidentally got her mom pretty drunk. She was hilarious.
- I ran a race with one of my very best friends and then spent the rest of the day together.
- I volunteered answering phones during the spring fund drive for my local public radio station. (Donate today for the fall fund drive - click here!)
- I hosted a birthday party and had all our friends over, hanging out and enjoying each other's company until (again) the wee hours of the morning.
And #22: The past few weeks, I have been helping promote an upcoming concert. My very favorite singer-songwriter is coming to town and I have the privledge of helping get the word out. By the way, here's where you can get tickets and info. It's going to be a fantastic, intimate show; one not to be missed.
So screw you, lying voice inside my head. I have a pretty great, fun-filled and enriching life outside of my office (and the hotel rooms I stay in so often). I just need a little reminder once in a while.
Back to work, you!