Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bosu Ball Bumbling

Yesterday was my last day at what will henceforth be referred to as My Old Job.

The new gig starts Monday and I'm hoping to make the most of my four days off between jobs. Today is mainly a spa day but I kicked it off with a trip to the gym. After a 20-minute warm-up on the stationary bike, I started a Circuit Training / Strength workout. I tried two new exercises this morning - Bosu Lying Glute Squeeze and Bosu Ball Alternating Side Lunges. I've done Glute squeezes in various forms before, so that was pretty straightforward, but this side lunge thing was a whole other matter.

Yes, I've done lunges before, but this involves keeping one foot on this completely unstable surface, doing your side lunge, then "hopping" across the ball to do the lunge on the other side. Seriously, this was more akin to a cardio workout than strength training. I was supposed to do ten of these (each side, of course). My first attempt essentially consisted of me repeatedly falling sideways into a vaguely lunge-like position. Completely unstable, uncontrolled movement. Not a purposeful motion. I became concerned that I might injure myself due to a complete lack of coordination! This is about the time I determined I needed a professional for some assistance.  Luckily, my gym has several personal trainers on hand and I was able to catch one of them and ask for some tips.

Here's his advice:

  1. Set up one of those aerobic steps and do some alternating lunges using that.
  2. Do NOT try to match the speed of this sample video.  Concentrate on making your movement smooooth and controlled.
I did both of those things and on my next set, I maybe did 5 properly.  (maybe not that many.)  My third set, I simplified it a bit more and did all of the actual lunges on the step and just practiced going across the ball in a smooth, controlled motion.  Guess I have a new project for the gym:  I have to make that Bosu Ball my bitch.

The remainder of the day was spent doing some shopping, mall-walking, mani-pedi, fresh hair cut and a trip to Sam's Club for provisions.  Tomorrow:  clean the house. And the car.  And put the laundry away.  (Won't be as much fun as today.)  Plus, a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl