Monday, May 27, 2013

Screw the Slump

I've mentioned I've been in a slump lately.  I'd say it's been going on for a few weeks now, perhaps more than a month.  I've been following some great advice from a fellow blogger, sticking to my routine as much as possible, getting plenty of exercise, but my eating has been pretty wacky.  I've gained a little weight - about 5 lbs since April 1, according to LoseIt.  As of this morning I'm officially back over 170 again.  It's not so much that I need to Completely Freak Out, but hitting that 5 lb mark was a real wake-up call.  It's time to set up some mini-goals to move toward being back on track.  Baby steps, get your mind right!

Here's the thing:  I know what started this streak of low motivation.  To begin with, I have a little confession to make.  Something I've never mentioned... because I'm a little embarrassed by it.  I'm a runner... and a smoker.  There it is.  I smoked for maybe 18 years, then my husband and I both quit, in 2008, using Chantix.  it worked wonderfully and we had no issues with wanting to smoke for three years.  Then we had some big life changes / challenges, and we both fell off the proverbial wagon.  That's what's so embarrassing - to quit for three years and then start up again!  So STUPID!

So we've decided to quit (again).  I'm looking forward to lots of improvements in performance... once I get used to the fact that everything smells terrible!  I rather miss having my sense of smell deadened by tar.  I'm told you get used to it eventually, and I remember that from the time before, but that's a toughie.  When we started the program, I sort of gave myself permission to ease up on my routine. That's all well and good, but it's time to tighten it up again.

So here's my five-point Baby Steps plan for getting my mind back on track:

  1. LOGGING:  For the next week, I'm going to strictly log all of my food - I've been a little loose with my logging lately.  
  2. WRITING:  I'm going to write something for the blog every day for the next seven days.  Maybe just a few sentences, but I'm going to try some Enforced Reflection.  I've got plenty of material saved up since I haven't posted in over a week!
  3. TRAINING:  I will do some kind of exercise every day this week - even if it's just 5 minutes of sit-ups.  Except Friday; that's normally a rest day, and this week I'll be working out of town and driving home late on Friday, so that's out.
  4. EATING:  Be mindful of snacking.  In general, one of the behaviors I've noticed recently that's getting me into trouble is mindless eating / eating for reasons other than hunger.  Example:  I was doing pretty well, eating clean, until I had a Minor Meltdown when I got slapped around by my sweet tooth on Saturday afternoon.  
  5. WATER.  I have not been drinking enough water.  In fact, I think the main cause of Saturday's meltdown may well have been thirst.  I didn't notice how thirsty I was until after I'd eaten three servings of Skinny Cow Dreamy Clusters.  I will drink my 64 oz of water every day this week.  it's just three of my 20-oz bottles.
Perhaps with these adjustments, I'll be in the green next week with a loss - or at least not another gain, no matter how small.

This week will be challenging for eating well.  I have two nights out of town, but I think I can eat dinner before I leave on Wednesday (or pack a sandwich to eat in the car), and bring breakfast / lunch stuff.  That still leaves me to worry about dinner, which is a Red Zone for me, especially on the road.  Suggestions are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! I've a really bad run after not drinking a enough water. It really does make a difference and you can kick that smoking. if you did it before you can do it again!

    ReplyDelete

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl