Here's the thing: I know what started this streak of low motivation. To begin with, I have a little confession to make. Something I've never mentioned... because I'm a little embarrassed by it. I'm a runner... and a smoker. There it is. I smoked for maybe 18 years, then my husband and I both quit, in 2008, using Chantix. it worked wonderfully and we had no issues with wanting to smoke for three years. Then we had some big life changes / challenges, and we both fell off the proverbial wagon. That's what's so embarrassing - to quit for three years and then start up again! So STUPID!
So we've decided to quit (again). I'm looking forward to lots of improvements in performance... once I get used to the fact that everything smells terrible! I rather miss having my sense of smell deadened by tar. I'm told you get used to it eventually, and I remember that from the time before, but that's a toughie. When we started the program, I sort of gave myself permission to ease up on my routine. That's all well and good, but it's time to tighten it up again.
So here's my five-point Baby Steps plan for getting my mind back on track:
- LOGGING: For the next week, I'm going to strictly log all of my food - I've been a little loose with my logging lately.
- WRITING: I'm going to write something for the blog every day for the next seven days. Maybe just a few sentences, but I'm going to try some Enforced Reflection. I've got plenty of material saved up since I haven't posted in over a week!
- TRAINING: I will do some kind of exercise every day this week - even if it's just 5 minutes of sit-ups. Except Friday; that's normally a rest day, and this week I'll be working out of town and driving home late on Friday, so that's out.
- EATING: Be mindful of snacking. In general, one of the behaviors I've noticed recently that's getting me into trouble is mindless eating / eating for reasons other than hunger. Example: I was doing pretty well, eating clean, until I had a Minor Meltdown when I got slapped around by my sweet tooth on Saturday afternoon.
- WATER. I have not been drinking enough water. In fact, I think the main cause of Saturday's meltdown may well have been thirst. I didn't notice how thirsty I was until after I'd eaten three servings of Skinny Cow Dreamy Clusters. I will drink my 64 oz of water every day this week. it's just three of my 20-oz bottles.
This week will be challenging for eating well. I have two nights out of town, but I think I can eat dinner before I leave on Wednesday (or pack a sandwich to eat in the car), and bring breakfast / lunch stuff. That still leaves me to worry about dinner, which is a Red Zone for me, especially on the road. Suggestions are welcome!