Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Run, Interrupted

There's a saying in Illinois:  If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes.

As far as I'm concerned, this has never been more true than this week.  The weather forecast is positively insane.  This post on Facebook tickled me & really says it all.





I'm not in Chicago but the forecast is the same for our area so this was just perfect to sum up the situation.

So here's how this played out with respect to last night's planned 3.2-mile group run through the neighborhood:

It was raining in the morning, cleared up in the afternoon while I was at work, then started sprinkling again at 4:30pm, just in time for me to head home to change and get to the 5:30pm run.  Meh, a little rain never killed anyone, I can run in the rain - the dog doesn't like it much but she'll put up with a lot for her Daily Constitutional.

JUST as I reached to pick up my windbreaker (I mean, literally, the moment I reached for it!), I heard the first clap of thunder.  THUNDER in January??? What the hell??  Ah well, wait 5 minutes, it might not be a big deal.  Sure enough, the rain lightened up a bit while we waited for the other runners to arrive at our starting point, and we headed out with the group right on time.  Coty was a bit nervous (she really really hates water and that goes double for lightning) but gamely trucking along.  We got about 8 minutes in before the raining turned to POURING rain.  Another couple of minutes and we paired that up with some lightning.  Coty pretty much gave up all hope of survival at that point and started sprinting, running toward random houses (presumably to request asylum and adoption with a new family) and wrapping her leash occasionally around trees & light-posts.  We said our hurried goodbyes and got back to the starting point and the car as quickly as possible.

Terrible photo, but:  The creepy eyes are Coty.  Those lines are rain pouring down.  Coty says "This is the STUPIDEST idea you have EVER had!"
Don't know if you can read this, but I thought it ironic:  my socks (SOPPING wet by the end of this little excursion) say "Duo Dry."
 Thus ended my 1.25-mile run for January 29, 2013.  16 minutes.  Ugh.  Today will be a gym/ strength-training day (tomorrow too) which is nice, because it's going to be in the teens again with a low of 1 on Thursday.  Maybe Friday I'll be able to go for a run in beautiful 40-degree weather??

Just wait 5 minutes, you never know what's coming up next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl