Monday, June 10, 2013

I Hate Sit-Ups. (Do This Instead)

I'm getting my calves reoriented to running! Last Thursday I managed a 4.37 run/walk using 2/1 intervals. It took a full hour, which COULD be discouraging, but after about a half-hour, my calves FINALLY started to feel loose and NORMAL again! Perhaps I should have pushed harder and longer when I tried it on Wednesday.

Sit-ups have always been rough on my back (being a bit top-heavy, I can never seem to keep my low back flat to the floor), so when my husband told me about this article he read last week, I had to go find it for myself. 

Five Reasons to Never Do Sit-Ups / Crunches again. (BONUS: it's VERY short.)

Of course, this does NOT mean I get to skip my core work: planks, side planks, side planks with pulse, Russian Twists, nearly anything with a Bosu Ball... Especially with all I've learned from my physical therapy sessions the past few weeks, I absolutely need to work that core for a healthier, stronger body!!

Here are some of my favorite options (and some I want to start using):


Basic Plank (classic; I do this all the time, always challenging
 
Side Plank (I also like to do this one with a "pulse" - point your arm to the ceiling and :pulse: your hips to the side (up toward the ceiling) 
Lunge with Rotation (This looks difficult to me; haven't tried it yet, but it incorporates a lot of what my PT is wanting me to work on.)
 
 
 

Bosu Ball Forearm Plank
http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/bosu-ball-exercises

Bosu Ab Twist

Here's one on the Stability Ball:  Back Extension Rear Leg Raise


Check this out for other options!  25 Variations on the Plank

In my hunt for pics / video I found this terrific list of Bosu exercises:  41 Exercises to Do on a Bosu Ball.
I also referenced these articles:
Best Ab Workouts for Women
8 Killer Ab Exercises (Active.com) - looks like you may need at least the free Active.com membership to read this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl