Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Accountability Post

When I left off yesterday, I planned to hit the hotel gym before heading out to dinner with my team, and didn't know where we would be eating.

I didn't exactly hit the gym; instead I decided to try something new.  I recently downloaded the Daily Burn app for my iPad, and I wasn't feeling up for a treadmill run and didn't know what weights or machines might be available, so I decided to rearrange the furniture in my room (housekeeping loves when I do that, I'm sure) and try one of the DB workouts.  I only have the free version, not the subscription, so my options were limited, but there were 3 or 4 that looked like good choices for me.  Like an idiot, I chose the BHT (Butt, Hips, Thighs) workout.  I say "like an idiot" because OMG it was tough, and my BHT are burning like crazy today!  Lots of squats and lunges in various forms.  There were segments where I felt like I couldn't keep up and took a few seconds break mid-circuit, but I think I'd like to do it again sometime, see if I can make it through without the unscheduled rests.  Overall, I'd recommend it.  I didn't need much room.  I didn't have hand-held weights with me but it was certainly challenging without them, and it was a quick and easy way to get a 40-minute workout without much fuss.

Squat Challenge Update:  I decided after that BHT workout, I didn't need to add another 50 squats separately; it really felt like I had fulfilled my squat requirement for the day.  I'm calling it Still on Track for Day 17.  Logged the day as "completed" and saw the assignment for today.  *sigh... It's going to be hard to convince myself to do 125 squats today!  Especially since I will be leaving the client and driving 3 hours home to make it to a meeting tonight.  I'd better head to the restroom and get a couple of sets done before I take off.

So then:  dinner.  The girls chose a really great restaurant called Firefly.  All organic, focused on locally-grown foods, high quality stuff.  A bit pricey for a mid-week work dinner, but as it turned out, totally worth it.  I ended up having a sort of accidental Atkins meal.  Works for me, because although I don't intend to cut out an entire food group or macro-nutrient like Carbs, and I do get that Carbs are not the Enemy... I've been reading more about nutrition lately and I think I need more protein in my diet, and fewer carbs overall.

We split the Dungeness Crab Purses (basically a small fried crab rangoon) - there's my "splurge" for the meal.  For my side, I just wasn't feeling salad-y so I ordered the soup:  a cauliflower puree.  Turns out they were out of that, or maybe our waiter was wrong and it just wasn't the soup of the day, but anyway I ended up with a Butternut Squash puree which was completely amazing.  I wrote down what I think was in there, and have decided to try to replicate it at home.  Really good stuff.  For my entree, I ordered one of the specials:
Wild Caught Steelhead 
Spaghetti Squash, Lemon Spinach,
Davis Farms Purple Potatoes, Carrot Butter

You'd never know those potatoes were even there, I'd guess there was less than a 1/4-cup of diced cooked potatoes on the plate.  The fish was grilled, skin on, but I removed the skin and skipped it.  Tasted a lot like salmon, which I love.  I had water with dinner, NO WINE.  (big "win" there... you know how I love my wine.)

When they offered dessert, I was prepared to skip it, the girls had eaten there before and told me how amazing it was - they loved the Tiramisu (which I don't care for generally) but the waiter described the Black Berry Shortcake and I guess I caved.  Feeling good about my workout and feeling like I "deserved" it after opting out of wine, I suppose.  Home-made blackberry ice cream just sounded so refreshing and wonderful!  BUT, I told him I just wanted the scoop of ice cream; NO SHORTCAKE.

Once back at the hotel, I dutifully logged everything in to the best of my ability - I don't know how many ounces of fish they gave me, but I only ate about 3/4 of it... and of course when eating out, you never know for sure about the fat / salt content of the food - and  with the ice cream my log shows about 700 calories for dinner.  I'd done pretty well during the day, and guestimated about 200 calories burned for the BHT workout, and ended up within my calories for the day by 61.  BIG win, especially on the road.

Checked out Facebook before bed and found THE COOLEST thing:

Lincoln Presidential Half Finisher's Medal

I just LOVE that when people see photos like this one, I'm the one they think of and they re-post knowing I might be interested in signing up for a half-marathon because it has a cool-ass finisher's medal.  How freaking cool is that?!?  I may be a little off my game recently, but what great motivation that provides, knowing that people see me differently and expect different things from me now, no matter what my weight is or how my speed /endurance is going with my run routine.  I have a long way to go with my weight, and there are still more lifestyle changes I want to make in terms of living a more physically active life, but WOW!  I've come really far from the girl who sort-of-accidentally signed up for a 4.38-mile race back in 2008. (and btw, came in DFL in the Foot Pounder division!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl