Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Planning for Warmer Weather

This week has been Race Registration week, apparently:  it started with a friend who was planning her race schedule for the spring, and that got me going.  As a general rule, I try to get in one race per month, so there are a few holes in the schedule to fill.  Here's my plan as it stands right now:

photo credit: kaneda99 via photopin cc
January:  this Saturday is the Chilly Chili 4.37 mile run - this is not exactly a race, more like a Fun Run - lots of costumes, a prize for Least Dressed, and I understand at the 3-mile mark they have Spam Stew as well as a water stop.  Good stuff!
February:  I got nuthin.  Can't find a thing in the schedule but I'll figure something out.
March:  Miller Park Zoo Stampede 5k, then the St. Patrick's Day 5k.
April:  Christie Clinic / Illinois Marathon 10k
May:  Lake Run 12k (a first, and will be the longest race I've ever done), Race to Wrigley 5k in Chicago, and the Run River City marathon relay (still looking to complete my 4-person team for that, I've still got time to find someone!)
June:  Steamboat 4-miler
July:  Park 2 Park 5-miler

OK I may have gotten a little carried away, thinking about those Spring and Summer temperatures while working in my cold, cold office.  The scary thing about this schedule is that April 28 thru May 19... four weeks in a row! I have races each weekend.  THAT is going to be a challenge.  10k, 12k, 5k, and 6.55 miles (1/4 of a marathon).  I'm really going to have to come up with a strategy to tackle that!!!

In other big running news, I signed up for Ride the Wave!  Yup, that's right - it's graduation day!!  I've done Catch the Wave three years now.  It's geared for new or returning runners, and gets you from couch to running the Lake Run 4.37-mile course. I've upgraded myself to the Experienced Runner category!  Here is how they describe the RTW program:
This is a great program to help you keep running February through the spring...
...run faster,
...run longer,
...and/or just keep running.
You should be able to run 2.5-3 miles without stopping to start this program. If you’re not quite there, consider the Catch the Wave program instead!
Meet weekly with others who run a similar pace. The workouts vary weekly to help you get stronger and prepare for the Lake Run in early May.
I think RTW will be challenging but I'm hoping to learn a lot.  Like how to do speed work, what the hell a "Tempo Run" is, what a "FARTLEK" workout might be?? There are all these terms and I have no idea what any of them mean.  And I don't really know how to train for improving my runs.  Up to now, all of my training has been getting to learning How to Run, not How to Run Better or Faster.  I'm guessing I have much to learn.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Well there you have it:  I am... forgive the pun... Off And Running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d be delighted if you’d join me on Facebook or check out my previous posts. I welcome your comments!
- CPAGrrrl